Friday evening we were hanging out at the in-laws house and decided it was time to go home. Jesse's throat was getting sore (from getting his tonsils out the day before...post on that later) and the Lortab elixer was at home so we headed out. Josh needed to take his police car to the university so that another officer could use it the next day. So I was going down the freeway and Josh was probably a mile behind me. I start getting close to the middle interchange and I was behind a semi so I just started slowing down. My truck started to shake going about 65 and I though my tire was going flat. About the time I hit 60 mph there was a huge pop and bang and for a half a second I thought my tire blew until I saw it shoot out across the freaking freeway and my truck hit the ground....going 60 mph. I'm hanging on to my steering wheel, slamming on my breaks and watching my tire....the whole stinking thing rim and all fly down the freeway, cross it twice go down the off ramp and land in the rocks. I totally thought we were going to roll and I'm thinking I've got Tracen and Jesse and I'm pregnant and we're all going to be hurt.
So the truck stops and I grab my phone and call Josh, by the time he answers I'm crying and telling him the wheel fell off the truck and he has NO idea what I'm talking about. I had to tell him 3 times. Tons of people were stopping and starting to back up. Josh got there and pulled up behind me and turned his lights on so most people figured they could go I guess (which was fine, no one needed to see me bawling). He called his dad to come help and then hiked down the hill to get the tire. He had to hike a long ways. I just sat there on the side of the freeway and cried. Tracen kept telling me "shhhhh" Then Josh started checking out the truck. The fender was bent and the tire had just come off the bolts. And there was about 3/4" of metal missing from my brake rotar where it scraped the pavement. At least it wasn't the axle I guess. Vaughn came and they jacked the truck up and were able to put the tire back on (after it tried to roll across the freeway again). They just took a couple lug nuts from the other tires and found out the other front tire was loose too. I was not about to drive again so Vaughn drove my truck back to his house for the night. They tried to get me to take one of their cars home but I wasn't really up for a drive, so we all went home in Josh's car. The next morning we took it in and they fixed enough to drive it and I took it to work last night. I think I have a little PTSD going on on though because I got on the freeway this morning to come home and I had to get off at Summit and take the highway. I was freaking out at every little bump in the road. Hopefully that goes away soon! I'm just grateful we were all ok. The baby was moving around a whole bunch when I got home so I knew he was ok too. I also felt SOOO bad for Jesse because it took us an extra 1.5-2 hours to get home and I'm sure his throat hurt so bad, but he was so brave and kept telling me he was ok (I'm sure he didn't want me to start crying again lol) I'm pretty sure I can count this in the top two scariest moments of my life....not sure what the other one is, but I didn't want to rule out the possibility that there has been something worse that I don't want to remember!
Decorated, But Not Demanding
5 days ago


3 comments:
So glad you are safe! How scary!
I needed a good scary story like that to get my blood pumpin this morning! I am so glad you were all okay and that there was only minor damage to your car! You must have some great skills to be able to control the car that good.
Sheridawn,
you are the best story teller ever. I felt like I was right there when the tire came off. Sure grateful ya'll are safe and good! Life is crazy at times eh!
Uncle Jack
Post a Comment